Sunday, February 14, 2010
What a ride
Well what can I say about Electra? Everything I try to teach that horse, she just does. This week I worked a lot on transitions within each gate. For example seeing how slow she would trot and how fast she would trot, and working up and down by only using my body and the same in the lope. She just seems to get it. Her spins are getting good, still very slow but they are good, quality spins. I would like to have her be softer in the bit vertically, then I may be able to start changing bits on her in preparation for competition. But she is alowed to not be perfect, and it is something that we are slowly improving on. While riding out she does good but she still shows me the attitude that is going to make her a champion, I don't let her get away with acting like she is in charge but it doesn't worry me at all, and we have a good understanding of each other. Her circles are all but perfect, she isn't trying to cheat at all, (which is a breath of fresh air compared to how some horses start their circles). She is stopping nice, not digging, but stopping well, and I am not going to work on it at all for quite a while because she is willingly stopping on her hind quarters on a loose rein. I was able to get several lead changes out of her, however they didn't happen on cue, she is starting to understand what I am asking. This can't take enough time, the very last thing in the world I want to do is scare her out of changing leads and make her hurry through the middle of the arena. I will then lose everything she has been so willing to give me thus far. I am going to work this as I do all maneuvers, at her pace, when she is ready and understands she will change. I can't stress it enough, I am not trying to take anything from these horses (especially this one) I appreciate what they give me and I give back to them, relief from pressure. This horse is sheer enjoyment to ride. Thanks for readin, God Bless, BW
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment